Often when I pick up our daily newspaper, I read news of a new school shooting somewhere in our country. There is much talk of contingency plans (ALICE - Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate) for example.
However, I think it’s about time we begin discuss the root of the problem. Controlling the gun-person, more stringent gun-buying rules, running and hiding: these do not address the root of the violence problem among today’s youth surfacing in our education institutions.
Here are some possible contributors:
• Taking God and prayer out of our schools
• Violent video games that youth play via XBox, iOS apps, and other venues
• “Cult of Death” mentality running rampant in today’s society. For examples: partial-birth abortion, lax jail sentences for murderers, allowing mentally ill to commit murder and get away with it, violent and dark art, tattoos, etc.
• Violent and horror movies: No, they are not harmless fun; these films gradually wear down the conscience, that sense of empathy for one’s fellow human being.
• Violent depictions on social media - visuals make an impression on youth, especially videos
• Lack of respect for our fellow human beings. Rudeness prevails in today’s iPhone-connected society.
• Atheism and other false religions. Only one (true) religion, Christianity, comes with a set of “Plans for Life”, called the Ten Commandments, written in our Creator’s Book of Life—the Bible. This alone provides our blueprint for right and wrong and should be the foundation of our laws. Our Founding Fathers were believers and wrote up a good set of rules for governing this country. We have drifted further and further away from God, the Bible, and our Constitution. We are not really free; we are “slaves to sin”. Liberals and Progressives are calling evil good and good evil. Examples: Homosexuals are the new normal; “Cisgender” (God-created male and female) are the new outcasts. Transgenders are the victims; “Cisgender” are the bullies. Even White Caucasians are now under attack!
A divided country - for many years now, starting under Obama’s presidency, groups have been pitted against each other (not conservatives’ doing, either):
• blacks vs. whites (it’s all manufactured racism)
• criminals vs. police
• LGBTQ vs. “straight” (God’s version of normal)
• Democrats vs. Republicans
In summary, our country will continue its decline unless some sort of revival occurs. Will it happen? Only God knows. What we can do as Christians is to do what we can with what we have, where we are. I like to discern and inform. I like to be able to see the big picture of this tiny spinning globe in an infinite universe; and we, infinitesimally small, going about our daily business, watched over by the Grand Creator of it all.
Let’s return to God’s Way while there is still hope, and save countless innocent lives.